Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Shawn's busy design life

Wieden & Kennedy has nothing on the design powerhouse Shawn has been since landing on the African continent. Much as those who know her know, simply give her a problem to solve and she’s going to spare nothing, no hemisphere of the brain, no bendable digit, no bottle of cheap local gin in finding a solution.

Global Mamas is happy to learn this as well. She brings a seriousness of purpose, mixed liberally with a love of laughter, to her projects. I’m familiar with this standard operating procedure, but even I have been impressed both by her commitment to the work and the result.

I’m only sorry that the product of her labors is not yet available for viewing by the wider world. The packaging she’s created for the new black soap and shea butter products, the latter planned to be sold in a handsome calabash, are still in the production phase. Check the Global Mamas website for their eventual introduction.

The site should also be the best place to see the annual report that she just completed. It’s an interesting read as well, providing a good picture of the important work Global Mamas is doing across Ghana for women entrepreneurs. Her current project finds her working her magic on the new wholesale catalog. I just hope the Global Mamas artisans have bags enough for the money it’s going to make them.

As for her day, they start as a early as a prizefighter’s. Up at 6:30, she is at the office by 8 a.m., often beating the paid employees. Design engines are fired by no later than 8:30. From there it’s into her designer’s fugue, with temporary stops for a cup of coffee (well, Nescafe, which can’t rightly share the name with the stuff sold at Peet’s in Portland) and a lunch of red-red (red beans and fried red plantains) or jollof rice (rice with a spicy tomato sauce).

She keeps at it, shoulder to PhotoShop, nose to InDesign, until about 4:30 or 5, when she rouses as if from a long dream and shakes her head.

I place my hand supportively on her shoulder. “You’re in Africa,” I remind her.

She smiles. “I’m in Africa.”

(Picture: The Global Mamas office in Cape Coast. See Shawn working the computer in the background.)

2 comments:

Mel said...

Go Shawn, go Shawn! I've been so curious about your internship. It's wonderful to hear these details. You are amazing!

Andrea Hand said...

Don't work too hard, Shawn! I assume you're taking time and inspiration from your surroundings. I can't WAIT until you're back and I can hear all of your tales. I'm so proud of you!