Friday, October 31, 2008

Your crash course in Fanti

There are approximately 75 different languages spoken in Ghana. This incredible variety is really only a challenge for visitors from outside West Africa as most who grew up here speak a polyglot of dialects. The most prominent languages are Twi, Fanti, Ga, Ewe and Hausa.

At the time of Ghana’s independence in 1957, Twi was actually put forth as a possible national language. Ethnic infighting took care of that, forcing authorities to seek a solution in the language of the most recent colonizer. Lucky for us. Because the native tongues are a bear to get a handle on.

For those looking to fill out their Fanti, I’ve culled a list of important words as identified in the “English to Fanti” translation guide published by Gospel Ambassadors Church and peddled by the busy vendors working the traffic lines throughout Accra. Happy bilingualism, everyone.

Ennui – Enyi haw
Leper – Ɔkwatanyi
Hunchback – Efu/akyakya
Pus – Kur-mu-nsu
Cloyed – Biribi afon wo
Enema – Asa
Iniquity – Emumuye
Concubine – Nwenwe/Mpona
Matrimonial troubles – Awarmu-Ntawa ntawa
Embalm – Rebo fun h o ban ho ban
Deceaded – Obi a w’ewu
Regicide – Ɔhen-kum

For those looking to go further, here are some sample phrases that you may or, um, may not find handy:

The tallest among us should squat.
Hɔn a wcye atsentsenfo wɔ henmu no mbɔ hɔnmu adze

My manner of walking is an inborn.
Me nantsew fi m’awosomu/wɔdze me nantsew woo me.

Let’s block our ears to any hearsay.
Mma yentsie akekasem biara.

The door has nipped my finger.
Abow no afew me nsa atseba.

Don’t covet my property.
Mma w’enyi mber m’agyapadze.

Don’t arrogate evil deeds to me.
Mma nfa bɔn nsusu me.

Are you here to ridicule me?
Ana ebae de rebeyi me ehi anaa?

Never in my life will I allow a woman to dominate over me.
Merentsie mma basia nhye medo da.

Why have you frowned your face?
Ebenadze ntsi nna aka w’enyim esi dem.

He has slobbered all over the pillow.
N’ano ekyi nsu taka egu sundze nodo nyinara.

There is a long queue at the standpipe.
Nyimpa pii atow santsen wɔ paap ano hɔ.

Look! The clothesline is sagging.
Hwe de ahoma no resian famu.

I have crunched some tiny stone.
M’akaw abobaa ketsewa bi mu.

Sniff at it and see whether it has gone bad or not.
Hua hew de nka aba mu anaa-de nka mmbaa mu.

The scent of the meat makes me want to vomit.
Nam no nenka ye me abofon/ ama mepe de mefe.

Don’t come and parasite on me.
Mma mbesi mekɔn ho/mma ngye mensamu edziban ndzi.

Too much water has made the fufu soggy.
Nsu dodow no ama fufu no egow/aye mberew.

I have a jaded appetite.
Me kɔn ndc hwee mpo.

Go and have the plates sponged.
Hew kitsa pretse ahorow nomu.

The shoes punch me.
Mpaboa no kyer me dodow.

Don’t sway your hips at me, you bad girl.
Ɔwo akatasia bɔn, hew na anwosow wo sisiw ankyere me.

I said I was celibate mere as a joke.
Mehyee da ara kae de menwar.

Janet is not a nubile girl.
Ewuraba Janet ɔnsoe awar.

Some people are too much saturated with nonsense.
Nyimpa binom dzi nsem gyangyan nkotsee.

(Picture: An Abompe beadmaker)

No comments: